Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I've finally taken the plunge and joined the masses.

     Many years ago I swore that I would never follow the masses and head into the social networking of my space. To me it was nothing more than a website to troll around on and setup parties. Since I'm married and have kids, there is no need for that in my life. I guess I was right because most of the world has left my space in the dust. I made a solid choice for once.

     Let's just forward to 2009. Social networking is once again all the rage. People have more email addresses than pairs of shoes. Smartphones has really taken the main stream by storm thanks to the iPhone. Twitter has established itself as the way to live your life in 140 characters or less. The biggest social magnet of them all was Facebook. Facebook was the new My Space except it was not just used to pick up a date. If you didn’t have a Facebook account, you were shunned. Well that’s a little extreme but you get the point. Myself, I once again stayed true to not jumping into the social networking pool and vowed I would never join Facebook. It just seemed to be too much of a hassle to keep it up to date and who really wants to know what I’m doing every minute of the day?

     With my stubbornness in place, I fought the onslaught of Facebook requests. Instead, I choose to join the twitter brigade. To me, it was a no brainer. I could follow my sports teams and current news events, have them sent to me as they happen, and wouldn’t need to answer back with a response. It was a perfect relationship for me and social media. The thing with Twitter though, as you get deeper into following others, you find there are times you want to say something. So, it started as a few tweets here and there. Nothing major just throwing my two cents out for everyone to hear. Guess what I found out? There are people who actually wanted to hear my opinions. Not only that they would respond back and ask what the reason for my response on certain issues were. Yes, which was truly when I became bitten with the social network bug. I enjoyed talking back and forth in 140 characters or less and became adept at getting my point across in as little words as possible. Even with this new found enjoyment, Facebook was still way off the radar. It was still too much to get involved in for my liking. Twitter was neat and quick. Make a comment, respond to a question, and then move on. Streamlined, indeed.

     This brings us to today. Today is the day that I caved in and joined Facebook, but I can justify to myself why. Well, at least I think it is for good reasons. For those who didn’t know, I started a blog a couple of months ago. It seems that I needed a bigger platform to pontificate. In other words, someplace to speak my mind and have others challenge or agree with it. I didn’t really think much of the blog but as I got into posting each thought on something daily, more people began to read. I’m not saying this blog has become a runaway sensation and millions of readers come by daily but it does ok for itself. Speaking with other bloggers and writers I have communicated with on how to continue the momentum have said the same thing over and over again. I would need to have a presence on Facebook. The battle is lost, Facebook is victorious.

Here is the new roll call for how to reach me and make any feedback known on your thoughts from my posting daily:

www.twitter.com/oldskoolstyle

www.viewsfromthenortheast.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/oldskoolstyle70

www.facebook.com/pages/Views-from-the-northeast/ 132991243456558

viewsfromthenortheast@gmail.com

I think that about covers it all. I now look forward to having one more way to communicate with everyone out there. Feel free to comment it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment